Saturday, November 19, 2011

My Name is Omeo

You can call me Omeo, your friendly hill downtown. I’m not really sure how to introduce myself to you and to the whole world. Here is my little story of who I am and what I can offer to the world.

I’ve been around this planet or should I say formed by the Mighty Force thousands of years ago, which was long before any of you existed. I’ve witnessed solitude, calamities as well as wars and yes, development. I remember when dinosaurs rule the Earth where fortunately we were spared to share rooms with them. Hundred years back, I’ve seen little human activity below or up above. There were just a hundred or so people populating the entire city they now call, Legazpi. At that time, life was simple here. Mostly people would just explore the vast gulf of Albay to catch fish or till the fertile land for food.

Things rapidly changed for the last 50 years however. Development gradually but at the same time rapidly took place. Population increased hundred folds and infrastructures grew like mushrooms. Then came World War II. Properties were damaged as fighting became a norm. Strategically, my place was one of the best locations because I’m at vantage point to defend the area.

Not just human events but natural calamities occurred as well. Typhoons struck often as my none too happy friend, Mr. Wind indeed became a regular visitor. He shook my ass wildly and it’s ok. But what I could not take was the devastation brought by his uncontrolled emotion which made my heart bleed seeing how those people lost their properties and loved ones. Sometimes I don’t understand it but Mother Nature does. I don’t argue with her, Mothers know best.

Kablaamm! A frightening loud sound reverberated from afar as Ms. Mayon once again lost her temper, spewed ashes and lava. Don’t get me wrong on this. Amidst the damage and destruction she wreaks, every eruption is an astonishing display of power and grace. An elegant show of natural pyro-technique.  She is my majesty.

With all those momentous events, I was thinking then and now and came up with this question – what is really my purpose of existence? Yes, I’m part of nature and our role is to equalize the world. We clean the air you breathe and reduce global warming. Another one is by giving you moments to release the negativity in your mind and body and be fascinated by nature’s random beauty whether it be a volcanic eruption, simple sunrise or glistering blue ocean.

I go for the last one. From the time I was molded nobody owns me except God, until civilization invented boundaries of ownership. I’m not blaming those people who trimmed my hair or those who claim I’m their property because that is what the world is intended to be. Human created rules and legalities to maintain order and avoid confusion. My purpose here is as clear as the ocean eighty feet below - to share nature’s relevance to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment